While the growth in cloud computing over the past decade is undeniable, many enterprises expect to continue running some applications in datacenters or colocation environments due to legal, security or regulatory reasons. Examples of such scenarios are listed below:
- Highly regulated enterprises in financial services and healthcare sectors, where some proprietary applications and related data are not permitted to be deployed on cloud environments
- Telecommunications companies that have standardized on Kubernetes for modern application orchestration and are deploying applications and Kubernetes on clouds as well as across their cellular network
- Remote locations where internet access is unreliable and may be impacted for extended periods of time leading application owners to deploy applications at the edge instead of on the cloud
With Amazon EKS Anywhere, Amazon Web Services (AWS) gives enterprises and service providers leveraging hybrid infrastructure a set of tools to deploy Kubernetes clusters in datacenters. These tools are consistent with the tools that companies already use when deploying Amazon EKS clusters on AWS.
Today, we are incredibly excited to announce the expansion of our work with AWS with native support for Amazon EKS Anywhere. With Rafay’s Kubernetes Operations Platform (KOP), enterprises and service providers are able to leverage a single platform to provide automation and governance of Kubernetes operations across cloud (Amazon EKS) and datacenter (Amazon EKS Anywhere) environments. As a result, platform teams benefit from the same consistent, repeatable and easy-to-manage operational workflows for both Amazon EKS Anywhere and Amazon EKS clusters.
Rafay Provides Platform Teams With a Single, Unified Solution for Standardization of Amazon EKS and Amazon EKS Anywhere Operations
Rafay’s KOP delivers a broad set of services that allow enterprise platform teams to effectively and efficiently manage and operate both Amazon EKS (on the cloud) and Amazon EKS Anywhere (in datacenters) clusters. As a result, platform teams benefit from the same consistent, standardized workflows for both Amazon EKS and Amazon EKS Anywhere clusters. As platform teams deploy and operate Amazon EKS Anywhere in datacenters, they benefit from the following Rafay capabilities:
- Turnkey Amazon EKS Anywhere lifecycle management that can be driven via a GitOps framework, a Terraform provider, Rafay’s CLI or API options, or Rafay’s self-service, user interface-based wizard
- Cluster blueprinting and drift detection that guarantees that Amazon EKS Anywhere clusters are provisioned with the organization’s approved set of addons. Rafay also notifies and optionally blocks unapproved configuration changes done out-of-band
- Security and governance enforcement including role-based separation of duties and full audit trail of all actions performed on Amazon EKS Anywhere clusters, Kubernetes policy enforcement across the cluster fleet, network policy and service mesh enforcement, etc.
- Integrated, managed storage to configure, deploy and operate block, file and object storage on Amazon EKS Anywhere clusters
- Soft and hard tenancy options to meet enterprise requirements for an enterprise-wide shared services platform that spans the cloud and datacenter environments
- Single, unified Kubernetes operations platform for platform teams to easily manage the entire lifecycle of both Amazon EKS and Amazon EKS Anywhere clusters
For more information on how Rafay can help streamline Amazon EKS-A operations for your enterprise, visit Rafay’s key features for Amazon EKS-Anywhere.